Mineral Wells (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
The family of James Alvis Lynch headed west from Denison, Texas, to find a dry climate that would alleviate Lynch's symptoms of malaria and his wife Amanda's rheumatism. They traveled as far as the Brazos River, where U.S. 180 crosses today, when one of their oxen drowned, and the other was struck by lightning. To make matters worse, the Lynches learned of hair-raising tales of the struggles between Comanches and settlers. So on Christmas Eve in 1877, the Lynch family decided to settle 4 miles east of the Brazos in the beautiful valley between what are the East and West Mountains in present-day Mineral Wells. There, the Lynch family discovered the mineral-rich water that mended their maladies and brought tourists from far and wide to take the healing cure. The geology of the area also brought oil, gas, and brick plants, while the attacks on local settlers brought a military presence to the region. The history of Mineral Wells is alive today, as many descendants of early pioneers still live and work in the community, full of pride for their families' contributions to the area.
the owner of the Milling Sanitarium, located in the 2500 block of Southeast Sixth Avenue. Today this building is home to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). Milling was the first of the town’s many “rubbing doctors,” and he treated patients from almost every state in the union. He served as president of the Mineral Wells School Board for several terms, and he donated land for Milling State Park, north of town. No longer a state park, this park is now called Pollard Creek Park and is the site of
March 15, 1925, and destroyed the entire city block. The second Crazy Hotel, covering this entire city block, opened in 1927. The original Crazy Well is now in the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the hotel with a cover over it. (Courtesy Lou Hayes Warren.) This drinking pavilion at the Crazy Hotel still exists just off the lobby. In this photograph are Boyce Ditto (standing third from right) N. E. Adams (last on the right reading a newspaper), and Mrs. Veale (seated at left), mother of Cecil
J. Wells, and Frank King Jr.; (second row) members of the Nike-Hercules Demonstration Team. (Courtesy of Boyce Ditto Library, Casper Collection.) Harley Edwards of Denison, Texas, was Gen. John J. Pershing’s bugler at the Headquarters in France during World War I. Here he “blows” Taps at Camp Wolters for the Pershing centennial celebration on September 13, 1960. (Courtesy of Boyce Ditto Library, Casper Collection.) On April 27, 1957, Mrs. Mealy Mouth, mascot of the Texas Army Primary Helicopter
camped here, tents were everywhere.” (Courtesy of Boyce Ditto Library, Weaver Collection.) This photograph is an early panoramic view of Mineral Wells, taken in 1882 from East Mountain, looking to the southwest. Numbers on the photograph represent specific locations: 1.) Judge James A. Lynch’s cabins at the location of the first mineral water well; 2.) Northeast First Avenue, where a second well was dug though it was dry; 3.) Oak and Hubbard Streets; 4.) the present location of the fire and
was built in 1891 at 101 Northwest Fifth Street. The front half of it was moved to its current location and turned into a residence around 1902. (Courtesy of Boyce Ditto Library, Weaver Collection.) Pat Gallagher was born in Tennessee in 1839. He married Hannah Brooks, and together they moved to Palo Pinto County. They had five sons—Emerson, George, Spence, Bell, and Bill—and one daughter, Maude. Pat and Hannah settled in what is now the Union Hill area northwest of Mineral Wells, and he worked